Monday, October 11, 2010

My Soul to Take Movie Review


This was a homework assignment so that is why some words are bold, some are underlined and others are in italics and the works lol but I thought I would share my opinion on the movie I saw this past Friday night.

I recently saw the movie My Soul to Take directed by Horror Movie icon Wes Craven. Wes Craven is mostly known for two movie franchises and those are A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. I think a lot of people, my wife included, went into this movie expecting something along the lines of A Nightmare on Elm Street. This was not the case though. Although I like both versions of the Halloween franchises I really do not do scary movies that well, however with that being said this movie did not make me scared. This movie is about a crazy serial killer who does not even know he is the serial killer. He is known as the Riverton Ripper and he suffers from multiple personality disorder. On a stormy night he realizes who he is and tries to call his psychiatrist for help. Well that does not go over very well with the bad personality and he ends up killing his pregnant wife and almost kills his daughter. The police shoot him and everybody thinks he is dead but he is not dead yet. He gets one of the officers guns and shoots the cop and then shoots and kills his psychiatrist, another cop comes in and shoots him a few more times. Well as it turns out they were able to save the baby from the dead pregnant wife and after coming to life again in the ambulance the killer causes the ambulance to crash. That night seven children were born and his soul entered the body of one of them. The movie then jumps a head to sixteen years later which catches up with the seven kids born on that fateful night. The seven kids all know each other and even have a ritual that they do every year out in the woods by the wrecked ambulance. This is a really good movie as long as you go into not expecting Freddy Krueger. My wife went into the theater expecting to be scared silly and I for whatever reason went into the theater not expecting to get scared. I was expecting to be scared a little and to be truly honest I was a little but no where near the levels of Craven's previous work. This movie was also filmed in True D 3D and I am rarely a fan of a movie being in 3D but the 3D effects in My Soul to Take were done amazingly. I think this movie is definitely worth the price of going to see in movie theaters.


Horror movies today are no longer on the same level as horror movies of the past. A Nightmare on Elm Street for example is a lot scarier than My Soul to Take. In all honesty the scariest movie of all time is A Nightmare on Elm Street. No other horror movie character has had a bigger impact on me than Freddy Krueger. To this day I will not watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street at night. Freddy is a character who only exists in dreams which is why I think this movie has had such a larger impact on me than the other horror movie characters like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees. The Riverton Ripper had a lot of potential but when compared to the horror characters of the past he comes out as one of the lamest characters. My favorite horror movie of all time is Halloween though, and although Freddy Krueger has me too scared to watch at night, I still think Michael Myers is the baddest one of them all. I think Wes Craven was trying to make the Riverton Ripper kind of like Michael Myers but he fell short.

No comments:

Post a Comment